Saturday 23 December 2017

Minor Project: Skin 001-012

After my previous displacement experiments I decided to start working with some skin textures. While this isn't as extreme as the previous experiments that were focused on displacement maps, I found these tests interesting. I tried focusing on the idea of pores and bumps inspired by actual chicken skin, human skin, and human skin affected by keratosis pilaris. I played around with the SubSurface colour and the Radius colour - using the presets, some texture maps (they are not the most realistic but they worked for this experiment), and some other colours I chose. I also changed the settings a lot on the SubSurface Scale, the displacement height, and the repeat UV settings.













I also tried inverting the texture maps (mostly the height map) so I could swap the texture from being like pores to being more like external bumps. I also changed the Coat colour just to see what would happen. I tried to keep in mind what I think/feel when I think of human skin and chicken skin, so hopefully that influenced my textures. I plan on continuing to experiment with this to see what results I can get, although next time I hope to use more realistic maps and try out some more extreme settings. If I were to choose the spheres that I felt resembled chicken skin the most I think it'd be 009 and 011.


2 comments: