Saturday 2 December 2017

Minor Project: aiAtmosphere Volume & Bar Shadows Test

After playing around with the tile substance, I decided to use the file to also experiment with aiAtmosphere Volume to make the light rays of my projections visible. I played around with different densities but I found that having it quite low at 0.030 worked well since it was enough to make the light rays visible but it didn't make things feel overly cloudy. I suspect this would depend on the scene and I hope to experiment with it more.



I also experimented with adding in some objects such as bars so they cast shadows across the projection. In this case, I created some simple cylinders and turned off their 'Primary Visibility' so their shadows would render but not the geometry itself. In this scene I used a point light to light up the scene a tiny bit so it wasn't only black and so the tiles could be seen...I also adjusted the light linking so the point light wouldn't affect the bars so the shadows only cast where the spot light lit up. I know I could use a filter on the spot light itself to block the light, but I wonder if doing it this way would produce more natural looking results than having an animated texture plugged into it. I might test that out either way just to see.


For the footage itself, I took a video my sister sent me of snowfall in Vermont. I had to stretch the time since the video clip was very short (hence why the projection may seem a bit jittery and odd). I also added in a basic glitch effect (I want to experiment with other effects to create a break/glitch as well) to reveal footage of a nurse preparing for an EKG test underneath. This also gave the the chance to repeat the snowfall footage since the glitch effect breaks up so much that it's hard to see what the video restarts. When I brought the video into the filter on my spot light, I tried to time it so the glitch would happen as it crossed across the bars. In this test there is no orb since I wanted to focus on the light rays and shadows of non-visible objects. I think it may be interesting to use shadows to reveal other objects that are invisible as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment